“They used to catch me by the hair, bang my head against the wall and throw me on the ground. They would try anything to make me have sex… they beat me with a stick and sometimes hit me with aluminum rods.” –Jyoti, rescued at age 16
Find a list of educational books and movies here
What is sex trafficking?
Sex trafficking is a modern-day form of slavery in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such an act is under the age of 18 years. In other words, sex for pay by force, fraud or coercion, or any sex for pay involving minors.
Who are the victims of sex trafficking?
Victims can be anyone, men, women, or children. The majority are women and young girls.
- Doctor Phil exposes Child Sex Trafficking and how it affects today’s youth in his show. Watch as he reveals dangers of unprotected internet use in this next episode.
- Ashely Judd is very outspoken against domestic minor sex trafficking, as it has affected her personally.
- Sex Trafficking: Survivors Share Their Stories
How are victims lured in to sex trafficking?
According to the Department of Health and Human Services, victims can be lured by any number of ways. Here are some examples:
- A promise of a good job in another country
- A false marriage proposal or relationship turned into a bondage situation
- Being sold into the sex trade by parents, husbands, boyfriends
- Being kidnapped by traffickers
Does it happen in America?
Sadly, sex trafficking is not just an “international problem. ” Sex trafficking happens here, in our own backyard.
- See this video by Chapter 61 Ministries’ Truckers Against Trafficking, which tells the story of a young women kidnapped from her local fast food restaurant and forced to prostitute herself at truck stops along the I-95 corridor.
- This ABC New Primetime Special features the stories of two girls who were taken from their suburban homes and forced into prostitution
- “The sex slaves next door” is an article about Latino residential brothels in the USA
- See our In the News page for more recent articles about human trafficking
- The Schapiro Group Georgia Demand Study on why men buy sex from adolescent girls
- Faces of Prostitution shows the tremendous toll sex trafficking has on its victims through a progression of photos.